Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Faster Than Jesus?

Well, maybe not. But as ugly as the skating style is, he just may be faster than the "other Jesus" ... you may know him as Scott Niedermayer.

Much has already been said about this game (goddamn are the Oilers rolling sevens now or what?!) but this struck me. Just by faulty memory, but midway through the game, maybe early third, Horcoff chases down a puck on the PK. Not worth mentioning except for the fact that he started overtaking Scott Niedermayer. Now JesusII has no reason to worry, his partner is well back taking the puck, for all intents and purposes it just doesn't matter. But clearly it mattered to JesusII on a personal level, because he refused to let Horcoff outskate him, just on principle. In his opinion it was worth taking a penalty in order to not be shown up personally.

Good one, Scott!


BTW: I'd kill to be as fast as Horcoff (literally) but I would rather skate like Dvorak. I mean what's the point of being fast if you don't look great doing it?

6 Comments:

Blogger Black Dog Hates Skunks said...

Who was it that Horcoff tracked down on the PK in G1 or G2? Guy had a big head start on him and Horc blew by him and almost stuffed one in.

I knew Horc was fast but that's when I was like "whoa, I didn't know he was THAT fast"!

5/24/2006 7:56 pm  
Anonymous momentai said...

black dog:

It was Beauchemin. I'm sure of it.

And, Vic... do you sometimes wonder if this is LT's secret mantra? Horcoff > Jesus ??!! It wouldn't surprise me. ;)

5/24/2006 8:17 pm  
Blogger mudcrutch79 said...

Maybe I wasn't playing close enough attention when he came into the league but I was just so unimpressed with Horcoff initially. I thought he was soft, slow...the whole nine yards.

I mentioned the Beauchemin thing on my own site though-Horcoff has really shown that he can fly a couple of times in these playoffs.

5/24/2006 9:49 pm  
Blogger RiversQ said...

I have to side with mudcrutch here. I didn't like Horcoff until 03/04 either. I can't comment on his speed before then because I didn't notice it, probably because I swear he spent a large part of his early tenure with the Oilers on his backside during his shifts. I also recall him having incredibly poor stick skills.

Of course, he has improved quite a bit since then. On second thought, so have I. ;)

Someone else can judge whether Horcoff's a better hockey player or whether I'm just better at recognizing a good one now. ;)

5/24/2006 10:57 pm  
Blogger Vic Ferrari said...

RQ:

You're talking to the wrong guy. I thought Horcoff was a really good player right from the time he came into the league. Dynamic speed and terrific hockey sense, never cheated for offense either.

The first 6 weeks of the 03/04 season he was brutal though, but that's been the only stretch of subpar play in his NHL career so far imo. He suffered a hip pointer in the preseason, missed the last couple of preseason games and was questionable for the season opener if my memory is right. Not the same player without the speed then, that's for sure, and I imagine it took him a little while to regain the confidence with the puck once he bacame fully fit as well.

5/25/2006 7:26 am  
Blogger Dennis said...

I was always a big Horc fan as well. Back in the early days of Comrie which was at the time when it was clear Weight was out the door, I hoped that we'd have our 1-2 centres in house in Horc and Comrie.

Turns out I was half-right;)

5/25/2006 9:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home