Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Your Name Is NOT Earl

And there is no such thing as Karma. There really isn't. Believe it man, it's true.

I know (hope) that most Oiler bloggers talk about Karma and the Hockey Gods for entertainment reasons, and probably because they haven't got much else to say. And that's cool. As long as it's a good read.

But for crying out loud, half of the callers to The Team after the game last night were focussing on karma. And not in a smartass way, these useless tits were actually serious. Pissed off at a guy in their section for yelling "Shutout!" and for some of the fans for cheering "We want the cup!".

Are these goofy things to say?
Absolutely.

Do they have relevance on the outcome of the game?
Fuck no! Give your head a shake. And if you believe that they do ... then you are just a walkin' 'round moron. Just are.

.

BTWs:

Quietest playoff crowd since '99 or '00 last night. Though I'm told that the TV gang cranked up the crowd mics so that wasn't obvious.

I heard that MacTavish was unimpressed with George's thumbs up from the penalty box last night. The English have a phrase "big woman's blouse" ... here MacTavish defines this for non-Anglos.

Sooner or later the Oilers coaching staff will stop playing guys who are not game fit ... just kidding :D We'll see this same mistake repeated another 50 times. They can't help themselves.

Somebody held up a poster with a pic of Craig and "MacTavish for Premier" written there, it was shown on the big screen. The fans cheered wildly. Doubtlessly the same guys who were running him out of town on a rail a few weeks ago at a time when he was actually doing a better job. W's baby. :D

7 Comments:

Blogger Black Dog Hates Skunks said...

I'm a mess of nerves but I soon realized (G5 of the Wings series) that my actions and behaviour would have no bearing on the Oilers' run this season.

Unlike Canada's gold medal in Salt Lake City which I had a huge part in - I'll tell you about it sometime. Without me we were going nowhere.

Seriously.

5/24/2006 8:01 pm  
Blogger RiversQ said...

Damn Vic. I think this is bad karma for you - MacT will play so many youngsters on Thursday that your head will spin. It'll be young dmen in particular (because we all know you love 'em) just to stick it to you for this karma busting post. ;)

5/25/2006 12:29 am  
Blogger Earl Sleek said...

My name is not Earl either. It took a sec to realize that post wasn't about me.

5/25/2006 7:34 am  
Blogger Black Dog Hates Skunks said...

That's funny Earl.

5/25/2006 8:52 am  
Blogger Dennis said...

Vic I know what you're saying is real. That being said I've been beaten down by 16 cupless years and though I had a nice grin going when I heard the "We Want The Cup" chants I still can't help associating that chant with the Ducks comeback.

That's not me saying I think one lead to the other. That's me saying that if the Oilers had lost that game I would've forever remembered it as the "We Want The Cup" game;)

I chalk up that feverish comeback to reasons like A: the Oilers sickness finally catching up to them B: the Ducks getting a whole lot of bounces at the same time and C: the Ducks suddenly finding a sense of urgency. Though to be honest if the Oilers have fresh legs it would've most likely negated some of C in the form of actually being able to clear the puck out of their own zone.

This has been an odd series to be honest. I remember MC saying over on his site how he was afraid of Miller in a potential SC Finals matchup but then he remembered that the team with the best netminder hasn't always won in the Finals.

That could be true but the first two Oilers wins happened because our tender was better than their's. Especially in G2 when we were severly outchanced and most likely due to the flu bug. And then the same thing happened in G3 as well.

If the netminders switched we'd most likely be getting killed but I'm not gonna apologize for that and neither would say the Sabres for instance.

5/25/2006 9:15 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Careful Vic - you don't want to come back in your next life as a cat or anything... ;)

While I don't believe in any of it, I won't lie to you - I nearly lost it when I heard that "We Want the Cup" chant - it was more premature than a priest with a prostitute...

5/25/2006 10:01 am  
Anonymous CarOil said...

Don't call them "morons"!

Let me psychoanalyze it for you. It is a way to make a fan feel like they have some sort of control or somehow HELPING the team, instead of sitting there biting their toe-nails. Whether there is karma or not, that’s a different issue. All I know is, they are all die hard fans who want nothing more than for the Oilers to have a great run.

If you don't think "thoughts" can help, check out the documentary: What the Bleep Do We Know.

5/25/2006 2:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home