Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Owners: they're all business

Vue Weekly award winners are taking shots at ex-goalie Garth and the Islanders. I figured IOF needed to get in on that action. This story seems like a neverending fount of amusement. I'm only going to dredge up some irony, which is just pure clean fun, no?

Snow, you may recall, was recently — or still is? — a card-carrying NHLPA member. In fact, he was one of the ones stirring up the ruckus over how Saskin got hired.

Ahem.

He was quoted as saying:

"Our issue as a whole isn't that Bob got fired," Snow explained Tuesday. "That kind of thing happens. The main issue is what transpired after that. How did the [hiring] process unfold? Did it follow the right path? I know it didn't.

"How did Bob get hired 15 years ago?" continued Snow. "They got a search committee. I don't think it's asking too much to get the best person qualified for a job that pays $2.5 million. That's a lot of money to pay someone and I want to make sure he's the best person for it."

The irony? Bob is to Neil as Saskin is to Snow, basically. Snow can't exactly be making chump change as a GM, and he's got his hands on the steering wheel of a corporation worth hundreds of millions. Astute observers may appreciate that it would be prudent to search hard for the best qualified candidate. You wouldn't want them to hire a guy just because he's handy ("Hey Garth, come here a sec. You busy?") or just because he's a Good Islander Boy, right?

Wang surely wouldn't do that. He's an owner, and owners are all business. He's personally worth thousands or maybe even millions, I'm not sure. A poster boy for left wingers? If you have some preconceived notions of that separate breed of humans called "business people", I guess.

I know I'll sleep better now, secure in the knowledge that if Wang didn't go through the right process of making completely abolutely sure that he hired the right guy then Snow, I'm sure, would call him out publically on that.

5 Comments:

Blogger Vic Ferrari said...

I like that Wang is an NHL owner. The league needs at least one incompetent, unpredictable, wingnut owner around, just to keep things fun. :)

It also provides the fans of the other 29 teams with a valuable benchmark. An "it could always be worse, look at the Islanders!" kind of thing, for when we're pissed off with our own team's mgmt or ownership.

Must suck to be an Isles fan right now though.

7/19/2006 8:34 am  
Blogger oilswell said...

Yea, I feel sorry a little, but then I think back to May of 1983 and that feeling just somehow floats away.

So. Any players on the Islanders worth targeting for a swindle?

7/19/2006 12:07 pm  
Anonymous Doogie2K said...

So. Any players on the Islanders worth targeting for a swindle?

Unless you want Satan back at $4.25M, or Poti at $2.75M, I'm gonna say no.

7/19/2006 12:44 pm  
Blogger Black Dog Hates Skunks said...

How about this Yashin kid - I mean, I don't follow these Eastern teams too much, but a contract like that - the guy has star written all over him, right?

I mean, hello!!!!

7/19/2006 8:18 pm  
Blogger Showerhead said...

Very enjoyable last couple of posts... Say, did you catch the bit at HFBoards that seemed to indicate that Smith's contract signings may not be valid? Just when the farce can't get any bigger...

7/20/2006 10:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home