Tuesday, August 01, 2006

A lack of willpower...

I’ll admit, I’ve made a concerted conscious effort to stop myself from being the author of three consecutive posts but I simply can’t help myself. It’s possible I overachieved a little in my role as summer student in the months of May and June, or that I’ve got three weeks left to do one week’s worth of work. Heck, I may even just feel the need to sit here and type furiously to give my office-mates the delightful illusion that their happy-go-lucky student is off on another financial crusade. One way or another, I just can’t seem to stay away from hockey talk.

You’ve got Manny Legace, who you’ve consistently buried behind starters he’s outplayed, who has save percentages well above league average for the last several years, who would have commanded a sizeable raise had Dwayne Roloson not played out of his gorge for the Oilers… begging for work at $1.5 million - and you sign Dominik freaking Hasek? You might as well have given Chris Osgood a random $1M pay hike – now, in addition secretly pining for the mid-90’s and in addition to starting the majority of Red Wing games, he’s going to have to put up with reporters’ incessant questions about DH for the year… or if not the year, the 79-game portion of it that Hasek is out for.

If you have a certain level of trust in NHL coaching, I’ve come up with a very basic metric for identifying who the most dangerous offensive players in the league were during 2006/07 for ES, PP, and (for shits and giggles) PK. If you have the tools to take any player and come up with the average ice time per game he played against any one or more opposing players, you should let me know – you may be in the running for the title of Showerhead’s best friend in the Oilogosphere. Heck, I’m even in the stone ages when it comes to ES + and -; I simply open up game sheets and count the bloody things. Have you ever noticed that I haven’t brought in my own numbers for these stats for any context other than the playoffs? Now you know why…

Finally, I’d like to talk about 2 defensemen that finished in the top 15 for PPP/hr in 05/06 (among those D who played more than 100 PP minutes). Both are free agents (though one signed in the Czech Republic) and as both are getting up there in years, neither played more than 50 games last season due to a couple of minor long-term injuries. Here are their numbers:

Defenseman the first:
35 years old
5.4 PPP/hr (3rd among those with at least 100 PP minutes)
Played just 32 games in 2005/06, missed the last 26 games with back injury
Signed in the Czech Republic for 2006/07

Defenseman the second:
37 years old
4.8 PPP/hr (12th among those with at least 100 PP minutes)
Played just 45 games in 2006/07, missed 28 games with a dislocated right shoulder

As a point of comparison, Dick Tarnstrom and Marc-Andre Bergeron posted 2.28 and 2.77 PPP/hr respectively last season. With this in mind, have you figured out who either of the aging studs are and would you want either player on the Oilers?

9 Comments:

Anonymous lowetide said...

I believe I know this. Kim Jonsson and Jiri Slegr. Looked it up during background work for my ground breaking (and well received) Brian Leetch article. :-)

8/01/2006 11:50 am  
Blogger Showerhead said...

You've got Slegr right ;)

8/01/2006 12:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eric desjardins

8/01/2006 12:25 pm  
Blogger Showerhead said...

And there we have winner #2...

8/01/2006 12:30 pm  
Anonymous namflashback said...

What is Desjardins' status? He is shown as a UFA on the hockey news site.

Is he planning on retiring? Given how long he played for Philly - can we see him going anywhere else?

Those numbers are compelling though.

8/01/2006 12:56 pm  
Anonymous namflashback said...

What is Desjardins' status? He is shown as a UFA on the hockey news site.

Is he planning on retiring? Given how long he played for Philly - can we see him going anywhere else?

Those numbers are compelling though.

8/01/2006 12:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think it's philly or retirement

8/01/2006 3:10 pm  
Blogger Showerhead said...

And now there's talk of Leetch, as per a writer referenced by Spector. I wonder how likely that is?

8/02/2006 12:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's too bad about Slegr, I love that guy. He'd be welcomed on the Oilers blueline. As an odd sidenote, Don Cherry has said several times that Jiri Slegr is his favourite European player...odd but true, don't know what that means.

8/03/2006 12:05 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home