Monday, September 25, 2006

Manny's Uncle Jacques

Did everyone else know that Jacques Lemaire was Manny Fernandez's uncle? I didn't. Damn. Probably just as well, because knowing this would have taken the fun out of the "which goalie will Minnesota trade?" speculation last winter.

Some quotes from Manny in the St. Paul Pioneer Press today:

I never thought I'd be in Minnesota this long. There were a couple of seasons it didn't go the way I wanted it to, and Rolie (Dwayne Roloson) was the guy that kind of came through for us. I really thought I would be the guy to go, not him.

And in the same article:

My mom's side of the family had a lot of influence on me when it came to hockey. (Wild coach) Jacques (Lemaire) is my mother's brother.

Think Manny, think!

.

Besides that it's the usual 'get to know the player' drivel. This bit starts out promising:

The best day of my life is a three-way

But then turns boring in a flash:

... tie. It's my wedding day and the births of my son and my daughter.

.

So. Uncle Jacques. Just thought you'd want to know.

8 Comments:

Blogger mudcrutch79 said...

Fuck, we need some real hockey. Everyone's just reading the papers and finding unintended sexual double entendres.

Hasn't this seemed like a long summer?

9/25/2006 6:59 pm  
Blogger Vic Ferrari said...

It's seemed like a good summer to me, though I'm sick and tired of preseason at this point. Now all I really care about is that no Oiler that matters breaks a leg before the season starts.

So did you know that Fernandez was Lemaire's nephew? Is this common knowledge?

You're the one pointing out how nepotistic the Oiler and Coyote organizations are. To me these seems like an even worse idea than LaCroix trading for his own son a few years ago.

9/25/2006 11:51 pm  
Anonymous bigleaguer said...

While you're talking nepotism, the sons of Sutters always seem to be on team's coaches by one of the fathers or uncles, whether it's the NHL or the WHL. Then there's Steve Gainey, I think he's in Montreal now. And I remember when the Dodgers got eviscerated in the press when they drafted Mike Piazza, who at the time was only known as nephew or godson to Lasorda. There's plenty of other examples. Happens more than you'd think.

9/26/2006 12:12 am  
Blogger Black Dog Hates Skunks said...

Nick Foligno plays for his Dad in Sudbury.

Although he is turning into a real player. Good draft pick for Ottawa.

And a Russian, his name escapes me, married Esposito's daughter while he played for Tampa.

I think Espo still traded him though.

9/26/2006 7:24 am  
Anonymous lc said...

That would be ex-Oiler Alex Selivanov, aka "Son-in-law-ov"

9/26/2006 8:30 am  
Blogger Lowetide said...

Nothing worse than thatv Sullivan bastard letting his kid hit in the majors for the BoSox when the world knew he was shit.

9/26/2006 8:39 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Piazza was Tommy's godson. And as much as I'm all over the whole nepotism thing Mike was drafted in the 62 round so it wouldn't have been a waste of much of a pick if he'd fallen flat.

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/P/Mike-Piazza.shtml

Dennis

9/26/2006 11:41 am  
Blogger Alana said...

All I can say is, thank god for nepotism!

9/28/2006 9:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home