Monday, December 11, 2006

Bits & Pieces

People with stunning memories who also read the Battle of Alberta blog might remember that in a Matt thread there a month ago I commented on Pronger's start to the season. He had a stunning +/- and I said that he must be getting it done playing tough minutes because he didn't have any events with Selanne on the ice and almost all of them with Pahlsson.

The "quality of opposition" thread below shows Pronger playing something less than brutal opposition. So I checked again. I had used #44 instead of #25 when I had checked then. Mea culpa.

In fact, at 5v5, Pronger is +12 when playing with Selanne and +1 when he isn't. Which makes a lot more intuitive sense as well.

_________________________________

According to the ESPN guys, who log this stuff for most teams, so far the guys who are drawing "new rules" type penalties for the Oilers:

9 Smyth
8 Pisani
8 Horcoff
5 Hemsky
5 Thoresen
4 Staios

I've arbitrarily included Holding, Holding the Stick, Hooking, Interference and Tripping here. Data courtesy of behind the net.

_________________________________

The Oilers had a stunning 9W - 4L record when Mick McGeough reffed a game last season. It didn't go nearly so well when Marc Joanette was one of the refs.

Those are the only two I checked. In response to Andy Grabia I wrote a tiny PHP script to check that. I've since dropped it onto the NHLcode blog that I started a long time ago and then ignored. Just cut and paste it into the body of any HTML file, save and load it from your browser ... and you can check for this, or any thing else on the gamesheet for that matter, and for any season going back at least a few.

4 Comments:

Blogger PDO said...

I generally have a good memory, but being I was somewhere around 9 or 10 at the time...

Was it Kerry Fraser who got into it with Ron Low to the point where Fraser wasn't allowed to ref any Oiler game for the rest of the year after he muttered something about getting the Oilers back?

On another note, did anyone else notice on CBC a couple weeks ago when Mick McGeough was introduced as Micheal?

LT, you might hate goalies, but it's no where near the disdain I have for ref's ;)

- PDO

12/11/2006 10:37 am  
Blogger Andy Grabia said...

McGeough's name actually is Michael. Mick is the nickname.

12/11/2006 11:53 am  
Blogger Vic Ferrari said...

Did you get that php script to work Andy? It's a cool idea of yours, in an 'out of the blue' kind of way.

I'd guess that the spread of results for a team from different referees is just what you'd expect. A perfectly random spread.

I always liked McGeough before the brutal call in the Dallas game though, and I hate that Joanette fucker though. That's why I sent his name as the default entry value, and it turns out the Oilers get killed when he reffed. I'm with BK, refs get on my tit.

I haven't checked, but in spite of my intuition I'd bet that there's nothing in it. That the reason that I hate Joanette is probably because I remember a questionable call or two that happened to cost the Oilers a game. Just coincidence I suspect.

Though there are some guys from the old "refs manage the game" days. Van Hellemond (pro-Oilers) and Bruce Hood (pro-Habs) spring to mind, those cats have me wondering out loud.

12/11/2006 12:41 pm  
Blogger Andy Grabia said...

Did you get that php script to work Andy? It's a cool idea of yours, in an 'out of the blue' kind of way.

I haven't tried it yet, Vic. To be honest, it intimidates the hell out of me, trying to figure that stuff out. The coding, that is. I'm gonna ask a friend of mine to babysit me through the process over the next couple weeks. I'm excited about looking at stuff, though. I'm kind of tired of pulling off lame stats from the NHL stats page.

I'd guess that the spread of results for a team from different referees is just what you'd expect. A perfectly random spread.

I'd agree. I also just wanted to see how many games he had worked since the Dallas game, because at that time he'd dropped off the map. But now he's back.

12/11/2006 6:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home