Thursday, December 14, 2006

It Damn Well Isn't Lupul's Fault, I'll Tell You That!!

I know I know I know.

I promised I wouldn't let these things bother me but to write about it and hear other people vent in a similar fashion is actually quite cathartic.

There have been lots of discussion in the OBS lately about Lupul and his various roles and his overall lack of production. There's also the matter of his grandfather being one of the 718 members of the EIG and what the potential optics would be of the Oilers possibly trading one of their own, as it were, who also happens to be one of the prime pieces of the wonderful Pronger bounty.

Note: I know sarcasm translates more effectively in the spoken medium but if your computer has a sarcasm detector then I dare say I just broke it.

And while I understand you have to find stories I can't believe Brownlee broke out a pro Lupul piece today. You've got kids like MAP and JFJ who are scuffling and could be worthy of a few para, you've got the whole deal with Horc's eyes and ears which resemble something out of some lost Tolkien works and hey, isn't it time for another update on Greene living with Smith?

Just write anything other than this:

http://edmontonsun.ca/Sports/Oilers/2006/12/14/2787790-sun.html

You know I can't believe we were all so bloody wrong about what the Oilers needed to do to improve their team. Some of us thought we needed two more dmen but here all along we just needed a centre who's goal in life is to feed Joffrey Lupul. And come to think of it you know, that makes perfect sense!! The Oilers are seriously thin down the middle, icing the likes of Horcoff, Stoll and Reasoner so I'm with Brownlee here: I really can't blame Lupul for not being able to snipe. And the fact that he's had only 9 shots in the last two games combined shows that he's not even getting the puck!!! I don't know why in the hell the Oilers acquired this guy if they didn't plan on making him their number one priority!!!!

End of rant. Well somewhat.


This has been a sad week for the Edm media and that's coming from a guy who literally expects zero from that crew in terms of the objective. You had Morley Scott basically admitting he's the Leni Riefenstahl of radio guys, Matheson is wasting our time fielding questions about the first fucking Zamboni and now you've got Robin Brownlee crying about how the Oilers just aren't doing enough for Lupul. And though he says it isn't a shot towards Horc he's obviously delusionals because that's exactly what it is. I'm currently railing on 10 myself but it's hardly ever for lack of effort and while Horc's goal scoring prowess can be questioned I've never thought of him as a poor playmaker and the fact that Lupul's had 9 SOG in the last two games should count for something in 10's favour.

From this end of things I think Lupul's been shanking a tonne of either gimme's or five foot shovels. Anyone else remember him muffing that open net chance on the PP with less than 5 min to go in the eventualy OTL to the Ducks? He also did the same thing in home games vs the BJ's and Canes. Or how about all the times he was on the doorstep in the last two games? It's funny we mention puck luck because Horc's suffered it in spades but I think Lupul might have a bad case of it too. Bottom line though is that he is getting his chances and that speaks towards any of his centremen being something other than Louie Debrusk-esque when it comes to their passing abilities. And of course what Brownlee never mentions who is who plays the tough min on this team and that when Lupul was shanking all these opps he wasn't doing it while playing against the cream of the NHL crop.

Of course I guess that stuff really doesn't matter now does it?

There are still a lot of stories to write on the '07 Oilers and some of them wouldn't even have to be puff pieces. That's probably not allowed in Oilerville mind you but Brownlee would've been better off writing a piece about how much JFJ misses his dog back in Quebec rather than raising the pen to defend a highly paid local who just isn't doing the job.

I'd give my left nut to cover the Oilers or any NHL team for that matter and at the end of the day I'd still have one testicle left.

That'd still be probably one more than Brownlee currently posseses.

14 Comments:

Blogger ToTheBank said...

ziiing!

12/14/2006 1:12 pm  
Blogger SweatyO said...

Dennis: you are on fucking FIRE today buddy.

Nice work.

So Lupul wants a playmaking center? Some would like to see what Pouliot can do with linemates who have some degree of offensive ability? We need to get Horcoff going again? Well, when 83/94 get healthy:

94-10-83
71-78-15
14-16-34
26/20/22-19-28

And if that shit don't work, don't say I didn't start screaming for a package of Conroy/Visnovsky in early December. Because I did!

12/14/2006 1:31 pm  
Blogger Dennis-IOF said...

Yeah that could work. 83 spent the vast majority of '06 playing tough min and he has tonnes of chem with the two boys. Plus the new old Stoll line is doing a job right now. That shocks me a little because 14-16 have played together a lot and they've auditioned lots of Rw's and 34 has been there a time or two. But right now they're banging on all 8.

Anyway then you give the soft min to 71-78-15 but if those two can't make it happen with 10 in the middle...what's the chance they could do it with a kid?

I think Lupul should keep his head down and his mouth shut because some serious TOI might be coming his way once 83 and 94 get back.

We know 83/94 are gonna play together, 94-10 are joined at the hip and the new 16 line has accrued enough capital to stay together though at least a small cold spell. So where does that leave everyone else? Well it should leave 15 with the Horc line and MAP with the czecks. Is Lupul too stupid to see this? All he's got to do is stay close to even in 94's stead and he'll get the big role when Smyth returns.

At least that's how ot looks from this end

12/14/2006 1:50 pm  
Blogger Black Dog said...

Major zing.

Man, someone's feeding the media a lot of Lupul crap - wasn't it a few weeks ago that the radio guy was going on about how he wasn't getting primo PP time.

Here's a newsflash kid - how about earning something?

Jesus. Silver spoon or what?

12/14/2006 2:04 pm  
Blogger namflashback said...

yeah bd, that's Stauffer on the Team 1260 who has been chief lobbyist for our Lupul. he's been riding MacT for a week about not letting the scorers "be free."

i'm sure this was just Brownlee trying to find the story in the MacT beat down of 15-10-71; but, if this is Lupul's opinion coming out in the dressing room -- one would think at least the 11 players who went to battle with Horcoff know what Shawn is worth to the team.

12/14/2006 2:36 pm  
Blogger Dennis-IOF said...

I don't necessarily think this was Lupul's opinion but if Brownose was snooping around and asking him about finding a constant centre, then Lupul should've had the good sense to say that has nothing to do with his lack of production.

Only one guy gets to play outside the system and that's 83. And 15's been making some ominous quotes ever since we've acquired him. Either MacT breaks him or he asks for a trade

12/14/2006 3:06 pm  
Blogger Vic Ferrari said...

Since the ANA game I haven't read the papers or listened to much sports radio, but as nam says Stauffer usually has a thinly veiled Lupul defense going on. Click here between 4-6 pm local time if you want to get inadvertantly poisoned on our boy Joff ;)

12/14/2006 3:36 pm  
Blogger Showerhead said...

Your post makes me happy - I think I puked a little bit in my mouth when I read that Lupul article earlier today. Then again, I had my last exam of the semester last night so the celebration of that fact may have contributed a little :)

I've never really gotten on board with media-bashing simply because I believe that they're writing what most idiots want to be reading. As such, I'm thankful that there are blogs like we've got in the Oilogosphere and the freedom to browse at our leisure - I can only imagine how spoiled I must be compared to, say, Lowetide was at the same age...

12/14/2006 5:17 pm  
Blogger PDO said...

Definitely SH.

I mean, you have running water.

- PDO

12/14/2006 6:14 pm  
Blogger Showerhead said...

Safe to say I offered that one up on a platter and you didn't disappoint :)

12/14/2006 7:53 pm  
Blogger PDO said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12/14/2006 10:48 pm  
Blogger PDO said...

Someone in Calgary's bottom six could've buried that one ;).

12/14/2006 10:56 pm  
Blogger Black Dog said...

zing!

12/15/2006 8:45 am  
Blogger MetroGnome said...

Someone in Calgary's bottom six could've buried that one ;).

As long as that someone isn't Jeff Friesen. Man does he ever suck.

12/15/2006 11:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home