Friday, December 01, 2006

Jean-Francois Jacques Called Up To Go In


Maybe I'm the last guy to get on this, ie I just spoke to Riv about it and he was all over it, but my latest thing is listening to all the goodies in the audio section of the Oilers official site. The gameday report is like hearing tomorrow's news today and they also post the postgame comments as well.

So I checked out MacT's Friday musings and he mentioned that JFJ has been recalled and he specifically said that he's been called up to see action. So the next question is who'll find their way to the pressbox and from the rest of the scrum we can figured that it will be either Winchester or Petersen.

BTW, here's how the forward lines finished on Thurs night:

94-10-34
14-19-15
71-16-78
28-20-26

That third troika was interesting as it's the first time we've seen 16 and 71 pair up at ES and today MacT mentioned how they scored late in the game and how they'd be kept together in the near future. He also fielded a question about how 28's really slowed down lately and the coach responded that he's going to find a way to increase his icetime because he thinks that's the problem. So using deductive reasoning we can imagine that it will be either 20 or 26 who come out for Jacques.

The Oilers talked about being passive on the physical front in their last couple of games and JFJ should able to pick up some of that slack. But looking at the first three lines listed above it's hard to imagine he'll crack the top nine. It is a start for the kid though and let's hope he makes the best of it.

There might be too much room at the Oilers inn for him to start making a real name for himself but if he plays well enough he might be the bait for some kind of help for the Oilers on the backend.

5 Comments:

Blogger SweatyO said...

Well, if Petersen comes out, you need someone to center the fourth line, which means one of Stoll or Pouliot drops down to the fourth line and (probably) Thoresen moves up to LW with Sykora and whomever is left of 16/78.

Winchester for Jacques would be the "easy" switch, as it wouldn't require other shuffling and would leave a fourth line of Jacques-Petersen-Thoresen. Brad seems to have cooled off the last couple weeks, so maybe this is a kick-in-the-butt move for 26 more than anything else.

12/01/2006 5:20 pm  
Blogger Black Dog said...

With more and more of these kids coming up I think Toby's days on the 83/71 line are numbered - I like him but he's not getting a lot done with them although that seems to be a recurring theme. I'd rather see Thoresen up there to be honest but hopefully Stoll will get it going playing with 71 and 78.

Lots of options for MacT with these kids and its good because it keeps guys on edge having to fight for a spot. I hope JFJ gets some minutes and if they can't find them for him they send him back down again.

I think JFJ is going to be around for a while Dennis - I know he might be attractive bait but for me it keeps coming back to the fact that if 94 leaves they have nothing on the LW - if they were to move JFJ and Smytty walks then next season their port side is 14/18/28?? and then who.

12/01/2006 6:20 pm  
Blogger Dennis-IOF said...

Yeah...26 was looking good there for awhile but it dropped off as quick as it arrived. Not a big deal though. It was nice to see that line doing something but it's not like we were really depending on Brad. I think he sticks around though...his willingness to fight is something that will keep him in Edm this year unless he's dangled at the deadline for some depth.

Petersen is a guy that works hard and keeps his mouth shut and I think it's good to have a guy like that around as the 13th fellow.

JFJ's a kid that isn't likely to be put into a situation where he can crack the top nine and I'd imagine he'd have to do an awful lot with a little in order for him to ascend past 4th line winger. He had a good 1st year in the A last year and he was over a PPG in a small sample this year but I don't think he's an impact player and at the big level I haven't seen anything remarkable about his game. He really strikes me as a Moreau clone albeit bigger. I've no idea how much snipe he has because I don't know if I've seen him in a scoring position.

12/02/2006 2:51 pm  
Blogger Bank Shot said...

Well he had that breakaway on Theodore last season in the "Whew we made the playoffs, lets field a B-team" game against Colorado. He was stopped. Hamilton was also on sportsnet a few times last season and I had the opportunity to watch JFJ in the AHL and he didn't look like a great finisher at that level either.

If he could be a Moreau clone that would be great, but I think he'g have a steep learning curve to go through to get there. I'm not sure that Jacques even killed penalties at the AHL level. That seems to be the common theme amongst the younger forwards and prospects for the Oilers that I'm not thrilled with.

12/02/2006 3:59 pm  
Blogger Dennis-IOF said...

When I said Moreau I meant more in the vein of "speedy and gritty guy with a big body who likes to hit" and I didn't mean that he's a guy who's gonna wind up killing penalties and playing the tough min.

12/02/2006 4:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home