Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Missing Links

If Cam's done his job then there should be a corresponding picture of the old timey wrestler The Missing Link. I don't know why I've posted so many old wrestling pics these days, it's not like I've gone back to watching that stuff. I can't find the quote but I'm a somewhat of a big Stephen King fan and he once said that while he was a huge fan of the works of H.P. Lovecraft he always thought the best time to get into his stuff was when you were a teenager. That's how I feel about the whole wrestling business right now. There was a stretch of about five years when me and my friends never missed a PPV event of either the WWF or WCW and I can still watch those old matches now and get a kick out of them but I just can't get down with the new stuff. Which is odd because I don't mind the ladies being clad in a scantily fashion and in my day all you had to oogle were Miss Elizabeth and maybe you rubbed one out to Sherri Martel but you'd never tell anyone that.

BTW TNT made eight hour long specials out of select King short stories and The Movie Network here in Canada is finally showing them on Monday nights so perhaps you should check that out. I've already seen two and the first one was great, "Battleground" and the second one was terrible which was personally disappointing given it was an adaptation of one of my favorite King shorts of all time, "Crouch End". There's not a lot of star power in these specials and "End" featured Claire Forlani with a Botox face as bloated as was Brett Hull's entire body as featured on last Sat's NBC NHL coverage. I know the last installment will be a version of "You Know They've Got A Helluva Band" which is a must see for any King fan who's also a music devotee.

Anyway, on to the links:



That's pretty much all you need right there and it gives you the link to all of the daily papers in the US and Canada and you can go from there. Sure you'll need to sign up for papers like the LA Times, NY Times and Wsh Post but you should already have that done anyway.




I've been watching more and more Pens games lately and that's a given considering all the talent they have. So that leads to checking out their dailies and Dave Molinari is a pretty sharp guy who writes for the above paper. His weekly column that's worth your time and in this piece he talks about how much the Pens are missing off season addition Mark Eaton. The Oilers online community doesn't miss a whole lot and I believe it was Speeds who was pimping this guy this past summer and talking about how he was playing tough minutes for the '06 Preds.. It's really been a bad year for Lowe when it comes to identifying and procuring help on the backend and that's always been one of his steady points given the free agent signing of MAB and the UFA signing of Staios and such. This summer it looked like he landed another sizeable fish in Tarnqvist but Shaggy's been banged up literally all season and Smid looks like magic beans at this point. Eaton's a guy who signed for basically the same amount though and he's even been more injury prone than Shaggy though this season. It still makes me wonder why Lowe wouldn't have moved heaven and earth to bring in this guy instead of gift wrapping top four minutes to a greenhorn like Smid. It's not like they didn't have the cap room. Molinari's raving about him here though so maybe Lowe can ask Speeds who this summer's bargain's gonna be.


I hate anyone who watches reality TV or who's obsessed with the personal lives of celebrites so I feel a bit odd posting this link but what the hell. I'd imagine most of you remember David Amber as a TSN personality and just last week I stumbled upon this archive of his interviews with NHL'ers. There's some pretty cool stuff in there I must say and I particularily enjoyed reading stuff like how Iginla sulked after Mar Savard decided to head to Boston and the Chelios/Eddie Vedder is pretty funny.



The above is a way to check out old boxscores and answer questions like, "Did Tommy Salo ever record any shutouts"?




The coverage isn't exactly all encompassing but I agree with Whitney when she says the children are out future and right now most of our future is toiling with the Baby Pens.

9 Comments:

Blogger ToTheBank said...

Well that was a horrible tease, is this like a scavenger hunt? You write capsules and then we're supposed to find the links?

1/17/2007 2:30 pm  
Blogger Steven said...

Yah I was looking foward to more old style Wrestling Pictures.

Can't believe you showed Gorilla Monsoon last time. Haha that was waay back when. I remember watching the Calgary Stampede Wrestling back when it was on TV and seeing Jason The Terrible. Good Times.

1/17/2007 3:41 pm  
Blogger speeds said...

I believe you've misidentified me Dennis, I don't specifically remember saying Eaton would be a great guy for Lowe to pick up. Sounds more Rivers or Vic to me, but perhaps it was someone else?

1/17/2007 6:04 pm  
Blogger mudcrutch79 said...

The post is called "The Missing Links". I believe that it's intentional.

1/17/2007 7:18 pm  
Blogger Shawn said...

It sucks I wanted those interviews.

Though I never really got why David Amber climbed so far. He always seemed wooden to me.

Shaggy drives me absolutely nuts with his weak clearing attempts. Do you think it's all injury related? At least he did a good job identifying talent in Hejda.

1/17/2007 8:45 pm  
Blogger RiversQ said...

The Eaton thing was me. I went through a bunch of shift charts for the Preds last season and he and Markov did some heavy lifting for Trotz. At the time, Eaton was already signed, but Markov was still around so I was mostly pimping for Markov. Something to think about.

1/17/2007 9:28 pm  
Blogger namflashback said...

Shawn,

Team 1260 a coupla days ago stated that Tjarnquist's injury is a "inflamed pubic bone."

I don't know much about an injury of that nature, but it might make him a little afraid of heavy contact and battling.

1/18/2007 8:47 am  
Blogger PDO said...

And the butt end of every joke imaginable.

1/18/2007 3:10 pm  
Blogger Art Vandelay said...

Don't we all have an inflamed public bone several times a day?

1/19/2007 9:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home