Friday, January 26, 2007

Sharks/Oilers: I do this because it doesn't look like anyone else will;)

Man oh man, it's seems like it's a depressing time around the Oilers online community. Ty's still working on his refresh so the MC79 joint hasn't been updated, there's tumbleweeds blowing though the Oilers section over at BOA and the CiO guys are just hoping against hope that Lowe makes a deal. Note: the exclusion of the Hot Oil ladies isn't a slight by any means, it's that I can't in good faith suggest anyone visit their site until they erase that pictures of Pleasure Motors;)

So I guess we at IOF are holding it down tonight when it comes to a pregame and subsquent gamethread and if you've come here for optimism than A: you're obviously lost and B: you've come to the wrong place.

Over the break I have made peace with the fact that the Oilers most likely won't be participating in the playoffs. There's just too many things going wrong right now for everything to be fixed in the next 34 games. The Nedved experiment gets messier by the day but no one seems to want to acknowledge it, Roloson has gone all Salo on us yet MacT and Co are afraid to give him some rest and play Jussi even once every 25 games and it looks like all the guys who said Raffi's goalscoring might just be luck more than anything else just might be right. I mean the kid's coming up a plus but he's not even getting scoring chances anymore let alone goals.

The truth is, and I said this right from the time the Pronger trade was made and then I guess I made myself forget about it, was that this team was doomed from the time Lowe traded Pronger for Lupul and Smid and then decided not to further augment the defense. Tarnqvist looked like a good acquistion early on but I think it's been November since he was healthy, Smid's an AHLer at this age at best and trying to develop him and Greene the same time was an idea that ranks right up there with Crystal Pepsi and even a guy like Sykora, who looked lights out early on, hasn't put together three good games in a row in ages. Granted, it hasn't helped that Smith looks to have lost a step and Staios lost his GP streak and that Roli now loses his mind everything someone makes a mistake but it was stupid for anyone, Kevin Lowe first and foremost, to believe that a team this thin on defense could make any kind of a charge. Yet he decided to hoard the EIG's money, most likely at their behest, and now he's making excuses about acquiring defenseman saying that teams are asking for an overpay. Well, sometimes you get what you deserve.

Truth is that this team lost me the night they lost a 4-1 Rexall lead to a Dallas team bereft of not only Stars but also talent. At that point I said this team wasn't really worth having faith in again until they hit the .500 mark. Well, they roll into tonight just one game over that line with Staios still a question mark and no one even mentioning a possible return date for Shaggy which means he's probably gone for an even longer haul than originally anticipated.

I spent a few min today wondering what kind of analogy I could come up with to describe how my early season expectations could've been so off the mark and/or how it felt coming out of the break knowing the Oilers were beginning a stretch drive to futility. At first I thought of Alicia Witt who you folks might remember from the old CBS sitcom, "Cybill". Ms. Witt was hot and sexy and I thought bigger things were in store for her but I think the last big role she had was as Chris's GF in the first season of The Sopranos and I don't think she's done anything noteworthy since. But what I decided to settle on was how the break was like the last weekend before a dieter starts to purge, haven't you noticed how all diets start on Monday?;) You're looking ahead and you've got your goal-weight set and you're sure you can throw out the junkfood, switch from whiteflour to whole wheat and this time you'll make it a point to get to the gym four days a week. But in the back of your mind you know your wealk self and that in a week or less you're sneaking downstairs in the middle of the night to build a sandwhich that would choke a horse.

In the meantime, enjoy the rest of the Oilers season;)

18 Comments:

Blogger Loxy said...

Alicia Witt is uglier than we initially thought.

As are the Oilers.

Picture Proof

1/26/2007 5:31 pm  
Blogger Loxy said...

...she looks like Jenna Elfman's aunt.

1/26/2007 5:32 pm  
Blogger mudcrutch79 said...

I'd hit it.

1/26/2007 5:44 pm  
Blogger Dennis-IOF said...

C'mon now Loxy...seriously.

She's hot.

1/26/2007 6:20 pm  
Blogger Mr DeBakey said...

Not only is she Hot
But, for a Starlet, she's very demure.

1/26/2007 6:47 pm  
Blogger Black Dog said...

Yeah, she's pretty hot.

Redheads ... mmmm.

1/26/2007 7:16 pm  
Blogger PDO said...

Smyth getting that goal sums up his season.

I know he doesn't have credit yet - but that puck definitely hit his shoulder on it's way into the net.

The Oilers are to the Sharks what the Flames are to the Oilers.

Lordy.

1/26/2007 7:40 pm  
Blogger Mr DeBakey said...

Dan Hejda is about to become my favourite Oiler. Go Dan.

But the rest of the Czechs - not so much.

Winchester got buzzed by a phantom Call.

1/26/2007 7:50 pm  
Blogger Dennis-IOF said...

When did Petr Sykora retire? Seriously, the guy has nothing right now and he's not even competing out there. In terms of effort expended, Nedved comparitively looks like Jordan Tootoo. I know he carried us early but you look at his body language and he's pretty much quit out there.

Roli had a great period but his shoulders sagged on one of the penalty calls, can't remember which one. Interesting that MacT's gone to an Easter line and switched around 34 and 15 on the top two lines.

When you had a 2-5 combo killing penalties than I don't know what you can really expect anyway. Watching the Oilers playing like this reminds me of watching an NFL game where you're team's just hanging on and they really shouldn't be and you hope that the head coach can make some adjustments at halftime.

But they never do.

And if the Oilers somehow manage to pull this one out then I'd say the Sharks should forfiet the last game because it's not like they'll win and maybe it could even get worse and someone might get hurt.

One last note: why isn't anyone updating us on Shaggy's status?

1/26/2007 8:00 pm  
Blogger Black Dog said...

Oh yeah, they took Shaggy out to the back 40, as my old man likes to say.

1/26/2007 8:07 pm  
Blogger PDO said...

Well, that's all she wrote.

It's a shame, the Oilers had their chances. Smyth should've had a break, Stoll had a break, and Horcoff was in all alone.. you just knew that you can't keep playing with fire like that.

No shame in losing this game given our lineup tonight.

I still think SJ is the best team in the league.

1/26/2007 8:38 pm  
Blogger Mr DeBakey said...

I gotta book an appointment with my effin optometrist,
I'm not seeing any of this shit.

I didn't see
Marleau Holding,
Dan hooking,
Smytty hooking.

I'm worried
They told me I'd go blind.
But I didn't believe them.

1/26/2007 8:44 pm  
Blogger Dennis-IOF said...

I think it's a real shame to get outplayed like they've been tonight. And for all the good that Roli did tonight, and there's been a lot of it, I could;ve scored that Grier goal. The 5 hole was just gaping on that one. And of course at the other end Toskola made a wicked save on Horc.

This is a gross effort by a shit team that looks like they've quit. I mean I'm not one for trades for the sake of them but this team is dead. They need both Staios and Shaggy back and they need another guy that can make a fucking pass from behind his own blueline.

1/26/2007 8:44 pm  
Blogger Dennis-IOF said...

And the news gets better too...Minny wins in SO vs Cgy, Stl wins in OT and Col's up 4-2 after 40.

This team's in 11th place by no time.

1/26/2007 8:48 pm  
Blogger PDO said...

Dennis, I know you don't check out HF all that often (can hardly say I blame you) but there was a post on Roloson's five hole a couple weeks ago you may want to check out.

The guy doesn't keep his fucking stick on the ice.

If this team wins tonight, they'll officially win me over with a win against LA tonight.

LT, you're out of beer right? Come on over, I have plenty and could use some stories from the glory days ;)

1/26/2007 8:51 pm  
Blogger Mr DeBakey said...

Re: Glory Days

There's an article about Brett Calligan in the current Hockey News.

1/26/2007 8:54 pm  
Blogger Art Vandelay said...

Debakey, the "one eye" post is one down on the blog.

1/27/2007 2:06 am  
Blogger Mr DeBakey said...

Hee Hee Hee

I should've typed "pre-glory" days

Calligan is on my all-time Bestest Oiler list.

I sure wish that was him on Stoll's & Pisani's flank instead of that frustrating goof Torres.

1/27/2007 10:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home