Sunday, March 25, 2007

Renewed Faith

I have to say, I have renewed faith in Oiler fans after last night's game. I haven't read the papers today, so forgive me if this has been beaten to death already, but whoever attempted the banner release ... they really are a quiet genius, they really are. Plenty of room for criticism on the execution though.

I'm talking about the dude/girl who tried to send Ryan Smyth's hand drawn jersey to the rafters next to the existing ones, on the tails of helium balloons. That was gold. Better yet was that when the rest of us figured out what he/she was trying to , Oiler fans cheered louder than they had all game. Normally the Oilers are cool with tomfoolery like this, they were down with the balloons, but it wasn't long before they saw they saw the #94 mock jersey attached to the thing and the ushers descended like hounds released by the squire. Funny stuff.

And then Oiler fans cheered louder yet (booing) when the ushers did the nab-pop-crumple thing. God bless all of you, Oiler fans. I'd almost given up on you. And I was wrong.

On the execution: How the hell did anyone get helium past the security at the door anyways? Or the poster for that matter? A baby bag I suspect, nobody checks those seriously. Still, well done. Not enough lift though, the thing kind of drifted weightless and rolled along the crowd instead of going up. A shame. Next time get a techie on board with the plan. This could have been much more hilarious if done better.

And even though it's hard to deny that Lowe's Oilers are going to hell in a handbasket ... gotta love the fans. That sort of shit is priceless.

9 Comments:

Blogger Black Dog said...

That's pretty cool.

3/26/2007 8:34 am  
Blogger Mike said...

Is there video of this?

3/26/2007 9:17 am  
Blogger T. said...

Beauty! I wish I'd seen it - I'm pretty sure I heard the cheers and then jeers but was confused as to what was happening.

That's gold!

3/26/2007 10:21 am  
Blogger mc79hockey said...

This is my new goal in life.

3/26/2007 12:43 pm  
Blogger YKOil said...

THAT is awesome defined.

Thanks for relating it.

3/26/2007 6:19 pm  
Blogger Kyle said...

Holy god that is pure genius. I want to find that fan and shake their hand.

3/27/2007 1:05 pm  
Blogger the Prez said...

They even got it back from the ushers on multiple occasions, only to try its release in another location. That was the best part of the night.

3/27/2007 3:00 pm  
Blogger She said...

It was awesome. My 8 year old and I were giggling at the guys trying to release it in the LRT station after the game. It helped dull the pain for my son, who saw his second game this season, both of which resulted in 4-0 losses.

3/27/2007 5:18 pm  
Blogger Vic Ferrari said...

prez:

I only saw it when I heard a roar from the crowd and looked over to see it sort of refusing to go up. Then later when I heard booing and looking back to see the ushers descending.

I could have been so much better though. So here are my suggestions for anyone planning a redo:

First off they should have made the banner out of cloth and a lot bigger. Even if had gotten up to the rafters it would have looked tiny next to the others.

Obviously they needed more lift. Surely somebody must make really giant balloons about a meter or so in diameter.

And to be done really well you'd need to be able to steer the thing by remote control somehow. To get it right next to the others. I'm thinking maybe a magnet so it clicks onto that same steel beam that the others hang from.

Surely that's all technologically possible. "We can send a man to the moon ..." and all that.

Alas, the moment is gone now. And next season ... it will be a tired issue except for maybe the first game that Smyth plays here wearing different colours.

3/28/2007 10:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home