Thursday, August 02, 2007

Dustin Penner

A quick and easy cut and paste from this site tells us something about the context in which Penner garnered his points last season. The data source provides only the top 75 opponents in terms of EV icetime, and I've just listed the EV minutes vs Oiler players here. I also chucked in all of the former Oilers that were on the list too, just for shits and giggles.

So, by way of example, Petr Sykora played 20 minutes and 36 seconds of head to head icetime vs Penner at even strength. And Petr ended up being EV+0 and EV-2 (0 goals-for and 2 goals-against, all at even strength). In fairness to Sykora here, both GA happened when he had the defense pairing of Young and Syvret behind him.

2 Comments:

Blogger Showerhead said...

What exactly does this prove? In a relatively small sample size, Penner's EV +/- was better against bad EV players than good ones?

It's just as likely that I'm missing something but if not then methinks you're preaching to the choir with this one.

8/03/2007 7:00 am  
Blogger Vic Ferrari said...

I just threw that up there out of laziness, Showerhead. I thought I would let people draw their own conclusions.

Click on the link above and see the icetimes and opponents Sakic played against. Or Demitra, or Gaborik, or Smyth, or the Sedins, or Horcoff, or Frolov, or Thornton.

Think about it, what numbers would Sakic have put up with that sort of opposition? (it could never happen I know, if you let fuckers like Joe play anything other than really difficult minutes against you ... you'll pay the price. Everyone knows that, outside of video game programmers, and I think they are more likely to be weedy kids from MIT than the ghost of Bob Johnson. Don't you?)

The disconnect between Lowe and MacTavish is painfully evident now. I think it started when Nichols demanded MacTavish be more involved. That got Kev's back up. But I dunno. It's a shame in any case.

8/03/2007 4:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home