Thursday, February 21, 2008

Bobo: c.1994-2008

I first met Bobo (aka Boris) in 1999, in a cage at the Humane Society. He had been found wandering in Strathcona County, and had gone unclaimed. Some person or animal(s) had beaten him pretty badly, he had a lot of marks. Bad marks that didn't look like they'd ever heal. He was a big dog, and he looked scary at first glance even though he was rail thin.

He had a good heart though, I could see it, and I'm not usually the sentimental type. And I worried that nobody would take him if we didn't, because there isn't a lot of call for big, rough looking dogs in a row of puppies.

We had gone there in the first place because my wife was yearning for a puppy. Hours later, and after several walks with Bobo, and a lot of long conversations at the shitty coffee shop just south of there, we left with Bobo.


Bobo healed up well, no trace of the scars. And he gained about 20 pounds in short order, and loved every minute he lived from there on, or so it looked to me anyways. Saying that you love dogs is a bit like saying that you love movies, it just doesn't make sense. This though, was a remarkable dog. He just was.

Bobo was kind, resilient, patient, courageous but never fierce, always up for play. Always happy to be where we were, with no intention of hiding that fact. And at night he protected our house from the scourge of our times (pirates and monsters), allowing children to sleep.

I have never met a person that deserves a better eulogy than Bobo, I suspect that there isn't one. This is the best that I can write though.

Bobo died two nights ago of cancer, and I miss him so much. We'll all remember him forever.

14 Comments:

Blogger Lowetide said...

I believe you write very well, Ferrari. Sometimes "saw him good" really is good enough. Sorry for your loss.

2/21/2008 5:20 pm  
Blogger PunjabiOil said...

My sympathies to you and your family.

2/21/2008 7:40 pm  
Blogger Bruce said...

Condolences, Vic, on the loss of your family member. Sounds like Bobo had a good life in a good home. "Best friends" is a two-way street.

2/21/2008 9:50 pm  
Blogger YKOil said...

Tonite, during the evening walk/ritual, I'll tell Libby (our own rescue dog) about Bobo and then right after that I think I'll tell her I am very glad she is only 3 years old, because that means we should have many years yet.

Looked again at the pic. That is a loved dog who knows it. No wonder the pirates and monsters left you alone.

2/21/2008 10:15 pm  
Blogger Andy Grabia said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Vic. Take care.

Andy

2/21/2008 11:47 pm  
Blogger Jamie said...

I have been a long time reader, but this is my first comment. I am very sorry to hear of your loss. The unconditional love a dog gives his family is truly special. I am sure Bobo knew he was well loved by you and your family. Take care.

2/22/2008 10:03 am  
Blogger HBomb said...

My sympathies Vic. Losing a pet is just as hard as losing any other member of the family.

"Saw him good" indeed. Great picture.

2/22/2008 11:24 am  
Blogger mike w said...

That's a beautiful pic. Sorry to hear it, Vic.

If I could be a superhero, it be a guy that goes around beating up people that beat up pets.

2/22/2008 12:21 pm  
Blogger Oilman said...

I don't often agree with you Vic, but differences aside, that mad me sad....sorry for your loss.

2/22/2008 2:04 pm  
Blogger Hawerchuk said...

sorry for your loss, Vic. my big goofy lab-shepherd left us seven years ago and I still miss him...

2/23/2008 12:04 am  
Blogger Tyler said...

Hope your kid(s) are doing ok with it. Losing pets is no fun but it's always hard on kids.

Hell of a name - I love it.

2/23/2008 12:13 am  
Blogger speeds said...

Sorry to heara about your loss Vic, it's never easay to lose a pet.

My parents have a dog that looks a lot like Bobo.

2/23/2008 10:40 am  
Blogger Black Dog said...

Vic, I'm very sorry for your loss. Your fellow looks a lot like my fellow. Its a hard thing to take.

Take care.

2/23/2008 2:11 pm  
Blogger Vic Ferrari said...

Thanks to everyone for the nice words.

I'm sure that Bobo would have liked all of you guys.

2/25/2008 9:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home