Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Thoughts on the draft weekend

A little bit late maybe, but here are my thoughts on some of what transpired this past weekend, both league wide and Oilers specific.

(1) Calgary's set of moves - not too much to say, other than I largely agree with Matt and MC79's viewpoints on the two trades. The two trades probably make them weaker, but it remains to be seen what they do with the cap savings. This trade may help them add a decent player to the 2nd line, but will that be worth the anticipated downgrade from Tanguay to Cammalleri?

(2) Jokinen to PHX - I don't really understand this one, though I guess it shows Martin is a big fan of Ballard. 2 years of Jokinen for one year of Boynton at 3 mil + 2 years of Ballard (before he is a scheduled UFA) + a late 40's draft pick? I don't understand the pressure to make that move right now. It's not possible that some team can beat that offer in a month after getting shut out of the UFA market? Or at the deadline? Or next summer?

(3) Edmonton's lack of moves - I was surprised by the inaction, but not necessarily disappointed. It certainly would have been nice to see EDM pick up a "top 3 F", but waiting to see how things go on the UFA market doesn't seem like the worst idea either. I prefer the inaction to moving Schremp, Pouliot, Torres or Stoll for (what I consider) less than their worth to the Oilers.

(4) Edmonton drafting Eberle at 22OV - I liked Eberle, and had him #19 on my top 23 ( a list that I compiled without the detail and time I ordinarily use to prepare my top 30). I had a hard time making my list after i got past EDM's pick, which likely reflects the lesser importance (IMO) of drafting now vs. the old CBA. It'll be interesting to see how Eberle develops, if he can work on his skating a little bit, what improvements he can make both before training camp and in the years to come.

I don't know anything about the other picks, but from what I read all of them seem reasonable except the last pick, which would seem to be the least likely to produce a player anyways (though maybe not)

Here was my top 23, for those interested:

1. Stamkos
2. Bogosian
3. Doughty
4. Filatov
5. Schenn
6. Boedker
7. Pietrangelo
8. Wilson
9. Bailey
10. Hodgson
11. Sbisa
12. Boychuk
13. Beach
14. Myers
15. Robak
16. Karlsson
17. Cuma
18. Carlson
19. Eberle
20. Tedenby
21. Dalpe
22. Teubert
23. Colburne

Still to come before July 1st - UFA and roster thoughts for the Oilers.

2 Comments:

Blogger MetroGnome said...

The only sense I can make of the Jokinen/Ballard trade is: maybe Martin isn't confident in his ability to re-sign Bouwmeester, who could be susceptible to an offer-sheet this summer. This way, he doesn't have to worry about matching a ludicrous number (a la Bufflo Sabres and Vanek) since he technically has a Bouwmeester replacement in Ballard.

If that's not it then I don't understand the deal at all.

6/24/2008 2:53 pm  
Blogger YKOil said...

I really like Ballard and think that if Martin has brains he has a phenomenal one-two-three in Ballard, Bowmeester and Allen.

If the Oil were to target one of the three, oddly enough, I prefer the price point of Allen.

As far as the Oilers draft goes... I'm with you speeds,

'meh' with a side of moderated approval

6/25/2008 12:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home