Thursday, August 21, 2008

Say it ain't so, Ray

I can't help but keep tabs on the Isles, and there is some good stuff on the Islanders fan boards, though Islander Mania is just too odd since the Islanders themselves became a sponsor.

At HF boards threads such as "This rebuilding plan is going to work this time" are a testimony to the fact that only natural born optimists have remained loyal to the orange and blue. The best threads, however, are the stalkerish ones. The Christie Brinkley, Hillary Duff, Ice Girl, and Player/Owner/GM sightings threads are usually a good read.

There is a thread in there from last winter discussing the Carolina Storm Squad (the Hurricane's ice girls), mostly comparing them to the NYI Ice Girls iirc. A regular poster chimes in to point out one of the Storm Squad girls from the photo array and inform everyone that he hooked up with her on New Year's Eve a few years ago. Described it as one of the proudest moments of his life. Damn, that's wildly inappropriate. And it's pure internet gold, people.

Anyhow, right now there is a thread on the front page titled Best/Worst guys you have met from the Islanders, obviously it's a must-read. And while the commentary is overwhelmingly positive on the whole, it turns out that almost nobody has anything nice to say about Ray Ferraro.

Isle Junkie:
Ray Ferraro was the absolute worst. I've never seen a guy so upset to spend a few minutes signing autographs for the fans. I was probably 13 and I asked him to sign my jersey & he tsked and grabbed it out of my hands signed it & then threw it back at me. What a jerk.

Andrea5174:
Ray Ferraro (could be THE worst, actually saw him scream at a little boy, couldn't have been more than 6 for accidentally getting marker on his hand)

Ploplopfizzfizz:
There are definitely some total tools out there "chime in" Chicken parm Ferraro. He is just a rude unhappy little man.My nephew asked him for a autograph after a Isles win and he walked around him and kept walking.

Strummergas:
My friends and I used to wait afterwards for autographs and I got just about every player from those years. Never had a problem with anyone except 2.
Ray Ferraro and Vladimir Malakhov.
Ferraro was so pissed that we was signing autographs, just complaining the whole time. If he hated it that much I don't know why he didn't just refuse as opposed to *****ing the entire time.

Yeah Buddy:
Worst
Dipiahole thats what he is and Ray Ferraro.
Jason Blake is giving our man Ray a real run for his money in the superdink category, no small feat considering that Todd Bertuzzi, Mike Peca and Billy Smith played for this team.

Actually, besides Czerkawski and Guerin, nobody has anything nice to say about any of the former Oilers that played on that squad, and there have been a bunch.

9 Comments:

Blogger MikeP said...

There's not much bad about former Oilers in there either. Izzy got an mention though, first post.

Kind of funny how the mod posted saying she didn't much like the thread, then joined in later on. The pull of celebrity is powerful.

8/22/2008 6:14 am  
Blogger Bank Shot said...

I'd like to defend Ferraro out of some sense of team loyalty, but the way he just tore Stefan to shreds on that botched empty netter makes me think the whole, "Ferraro is an asshole" parade may be on the mark.

8/22/2008 12:03 pm  
Blogger HBomb said...

I'd like to defend Ferraro out of some sense of team loyalty, but the way he just tore Stefan to shreds on that botched empty netter makes me think the whole, "Ferraro is an asshole" parade may be on the mark.

Perhaps, but I think that rant was one of the fuckin' funniest things I've ever heard out of a color commentator.

Assoholic? Yes. But 100% truth.

8/22/2008 1:12 pm  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Perhaps, but I think that rant was one of the fuckin' funniest things I've ever heard out of a color commentator.

I can't remember who it was, but listening to a Florida Panthers commentator explode on Alex Karpovtsev was probably my favourite.

Pat Foley launched into a rant against him here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iviLY1RvNc but that isn't the one I'm thinking of. Karpovtsev had a twenty foot head start on a race to the puck and got beaten by a forward, and the commentator just went ballistic. It was good stuff.

8/22/2008 4:20 pm  
Blogger devin said...

That Stefan rant was probably the moment that best defined why I love Ferraro as a colour guy. Much like Johnny Miller in golf he can be harsh, but he's been there and been through it, and so his words carry weight. Unlike Roger Millions and all those ex-backup goalies, Ferraro's words mean something. I wish he wouldn't say "terrific" so much, though.

8/22/2008 5:51 pm  
Blogger Slipper said...

Everything there is to love and hate about message boards is covered under that topic.

One guy even claims to have gotten hammered with Ted Nolan.

8/22/2008 6:21 pm  
Blogger RiversQ said...

Jonathan said...

I can't remember who it was, but listening to a Florida Panthers commentator explode on Alex Karpovtsev was probably my favourite.


Probably Denis Potvin, right?

8/22/2008 11:58 pm  
Blogger PDO said...

As much as we may have tried to forget it, Miroslav Satan was an Oiler at one point, and looks as though he's a generally nice guy from that thread ;)

8/23/2008 2:11 pm  
Blogger boopronger said...

i dunno. I thought ferraros call on stephan was pretty over the top. I heard that he never really liked the guy in Atlanta and i think it showed.

IMO the guy wasnt showboating or anything like that.

That said i think ferraro was a fantastic color guy.

8/23/2008 9:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home