Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Few Miscellaneous Hockey Thoughts

(1) The Oilers goaltending situation, heading into next season, looks kind of murky. Two pending UFA's and a goalie under (cheap) contract who hasn't really proven himself to be a quality NHL backup (as yet).

Hard to know who exactly will end up being available next summer as free agents, but some of the better names are guys like Thomas, Backstrom, Biron, Legace, Labarbera (included for MC). I'd imagine Thomas, Backstrom, and Biron will end up re-signing with their current clubs, but who knows? Harding and Lehtonen are both RFA's, not impossible that either would end up being traded (or I suppose offer sheeted, especially Harding if MIN re-signs Backstrom to a big dollar deal).

I think CLB is a place for Oilers fans to watch as well. Leclaire could well be available if Mason continues to play at his current level, EDM needs a goalie, the obvious history with Howson...

(2) I heard the OHL being called "progressive" by someone on TV the other day (sorry, I wish I could remember where I saw that) due to their new rule regarding the removal of helmets before or during fights. I think the first thing that popped into my mind was "If they were truly progressive, maybe they wouldn't allow 16-20 year olds to fight at all?". Just my opinion.

(3) When a player lies on the puck to cause a whistle stoppage, that should be a delay of game penalty.

(4) A question: Let's pretend there is a delayed penalty against the Oilers, and while MIN is pressing six on five they accidentally score on their own net. I'm assuming the faceoff would be at center ice after a goal, but does anyone know for sure with the new rule in place this year regarding PP faceoffs?

8 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

O'Byrne did this in the Habs/Isles game (I'm sure it's on YouTube), after which the face-off happened at center ice, so unless the refs screwed up there, that's the answer.

A quick question for anyone that reads this and might know. Why is Smid still on his entry-level deal? He played a year in Cincinnati for the Ducks, then two with the Oilers and now this year. I don't get it!

1/17/2009 5:03 pm  
Blogger speeds said...

The 10 game rule applies because Smid was 19 during his year in the AHL, so the contract slides a year. This is the same rule that applies to any 19 year old signed, but sent back to junior. In the case of a CHL player, they aren't eligible for the AHL (barring special circumstances) due to an agreement between the CHL and the AHL/NHL, but in the case of Europeans like Smid, or even NCAA players, to whom that agreement doesn't apply, a team can sign them to a pro contract at 19, play them in the AHL for a year, and then have the 3 year contract kick in at age 20.

1/18/2009 1:25 am  
Blogger Scott said...

Wow, given how many highly ranked Swedes are in this draft, I wonder if we're going to see any of that next year. I assume Filatov is on this deal too, and he's getting awfully close to his limit in terms of games played. Given Columbus' injury situation it's probably taken some gumption not to keep him up with the big team. I wonder if he plays for them during the playoffs should they make it? I bet he will.

1/18/2009 10:02 am  
Blogger HBomb said...

The guy I think might be an interesting option as a goalie for next year, if Florida chooses Anderson long term, is Vokoun.

Top-ten keeper in this league by my eye, signed at a 5.7 million cap hit for two years beyond this one.....

Leclaire's signed at a more reasonable 3.8 million cap hit, but isn't as good. More than that, I still get this sneaking suspicion that Ottawa and Columbus are going to hook up on a deal involving Spezza at some point, and a goalie would be part of said package to the Sens.

1/18/2009 1:46 pm  
Blogger rananda said...

The 10 game rule applies because Smid was 19 during his year in the AHL, so the contract slides a year.

I hear what you're saying, but mechanically, I'm not sure how this works. Smid signed a three-year deal in August 2005, I believe. Are you saying that, at some point, that became a one-year deal and three-year deal didn't kick in until 06/07. Let's take Filatov, who's in the same situation (albeit he's only 18 now). Filatov has played less than 10 games in the NHL, does that mean his three-year NHL/AHL contract beccomes a one-year deal this year if he doesn't reach 10 games? I don't think you're wrong about Smid, in fact, we know you're conclusion is correct. I'm just sure I understand the mechanics. Same deal with Voinov and Mayorov. If their 3-year deals haven't kicked in, what contracts are they playing under?

1/20/2009 2:13 pm  
Blogger speeds said...

Rananda:

Article 9.1.d of the CBA details all this (I would copy and paste, but my adobe version won't allow it), I believe it's still available for download from the NHLPA's site.

In Smid's case, the contract slides a year and becomes a 4 year contract. Basically, year one of the contract would have occurred twice in Smid's case, with the exception of signing bonuses (which are not paid twice if the contract is extended a year).

In fact, in the case of Filitov, it could potentially be a "5 year deal" if he doesn't play 10 NHL games this year or next, according to 9.1.d.ii

1/22/2009 11:21 pm  
Blogger Art Vandelay said...

When a player lies on the puck to cause a whistle stoppage, that should be a delay of game penalty.

Kevin Lowe is offended that you've negated his entire playing career.

1/24/2009 1:07 pm  
Blogger rananda said...

Thanks. CBJ is insane if they let Filatov play 10 games in the NHL this year. They won't.

1/26/2009 1:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home