Thursday, January 29, 2009

Oilers kicking the tires on Briere?

Well, it's not often that I get any sort of "tip" regarding the Oilers, but I got one that will be of interest, I would imagine, to most Oilers fans. I have never received info from this person before regarding this sort of thing, but I do believe the source to be passing along what he heard accurately.

He did mention to me that he did not know how seriously EDM was looking into Briere, so I am certainly not claiming that anything is going to happen here, or even that it is a big possibility. Additionally, due to Briere being out for another 3 weeks or so, this isn't likely to be a move that would happen any time too soon.

I can't say I would be in favour of trading for Briere, even assuming he would be willing to remove the hurdle of his NMC. I don't like his contract. He'll having difficulty posting the same raw offensive numbers in the west. Given his current ab/groin issues, he is at least somewhat of an injury concern going forward with 6 years remaining on his 6.5 mil cap hit contract. In fairness, he has been a durable player otherwise, having played at least 78 games in 5 of his 6 NHL seasons prior to this year. He is also another small player, if that sort of thing concerns you*.

My initial impression of Briere was that he would help the PP, but in looking at some numbers from BehindTheNet I'm not so sure that he would help as much as needed to be a valuable addition.

I have no idea what kind of pieces would be going to PHI. I myself view Briere as a projected negative value "asset" given the aformentioned knocks regarding health and contract, but who knows how the Oilers would evaluate him so it's tough to say what a trade for Briere might look like.



* - It doesn't concern me in the sense that I don't think a team built disproportionally with small players couldn't win the Cup. I understand why, all else equal, you'd rather have the bigger player than the smaller one. That said, I'll take Martin St.Louis or Patrick Kane over Brad Winchester, and I do think a team with 12 small forwards could win the Cup if they were good enough.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hemsky is a gangsta said...

If you and Lowetide start breaking trades and dropping hints now I will have no reason to read Brownlee and Gregor anymore :)

1/30/2009 10:29 pm  
Blogger Dennis said...

You could still read them so you could get your fill of them talking down to fans.

Speeds: I know it's not gonna work but Philly always has a problem finding D and we've got a couple of one of them's under control - 77 - and another could be signed under control - 37.

In that respect, there is a fit.

In all others, there doesn't appear to be.

1/30/2009 11:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home